Exploding hoverboard causes fire in Orland Park home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ORLAND PARK Ill. — A family in Orland Park is lucky they were home when their new hoverboard was charging.

Not long after plugging in the charger, the hoverboard exploded.

The family was able to get the board out of the house before it caused major damage.

Thirteen-year-old Shanna Abraham was sitting on the couch with her family Sunday afternoon when the charging hoverboard caught fire and exploded.

The explosion left burn marks on the floor and wall, and one of the pieces lit the shades on fire.

Shanna's father grabbed the shades and the hoverboard and threw them out in the snow.

Shanna's mother's hand was burned. She was evaluated by declined to be transported to the hospital.

The hoverboard was a Christmas gift for Shanna that came a little late.

Orland Park firefighters say they just don’t trust hover boards. Their message: don’t buy one, and if you have one don’t use it.

Just two and half weeks ago, U.S. Customs agents seized about $10 million worth of knock off hoverboards, some containing counterfeited trade marks so the potential for a danger was high.

Abraham's parents ordered the Smart Balance Wheel on amazon; it needed an adapter to charge. WGN's efforts to contact the company were unsuccessful Monday.

Shanna said this was her first hoverboard and her family said it will be their last.