Mayor Emanuel releases texts following police shooting

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CHICAGO — Mayor Rahm Emanuel released a set of text messages that he sent following a deadly police shooting in December.

The messages were sent after an officer shot and killed Quintonio LeGrier and Bettie Jones on December 26.

Their release is a response to an open records request from the Chicago Tribune.

They show how the mayor was concerned how the story was being portrayed in the media and how City Hall should respond.

Emanuel was in Cuba at the time.

City officials say he was using a city-issued phone for security purposes.

One conversation with interim Police Superintendent John Escalante happened four hours after the LeGrier and Jones shootings.

“Any updates I should know about?” Emanuel texted.

“Yes, sir.  Fatal police-involved shooting,” Escalante replied.  “Can you take a call or call me?”

Emanuel’s next text was redacted by City Hall.

Another text was sent to the mayor’s chief of staff about media coverage.

“Media acting breathlessly?… You are positive no publi (sic) negative reaction.”

Officials had previously said that the mayor does not have his own city-issued cellphone.

They have not released any texts or emails from the mayor’s personal accounts.

The administration says it does not have to because City Hall does not store them.