Two years ago, a Chicago man decided to quit drinking and the results stunned him.
Andy Boyle, a comedian, writer and web developer in Chicago, was out drinking at a closing night party of a comedy venue when he had his last drink. After the show he decided to take a "breather" from drinking and focus on productivity.
Ever since then his life improved significantly. He posted his "short list" of accomplishments on Medium at the end of last year, and ever since then his post has gone viral.
Here's his list of accomplishments:
- Lost 75 pounds
- Bought a loft condo
- Finished a first draft of an advice book
- Started exercising three days a week, then four
- Went from a size XXL to size Large
- Performed in three comedy festivals
- Got a new job at Breaking News
- Finished multiple drafts of multiple television and movie scripts
- Went from 42-inch waist to 36-inch
- Went from hating myself daily to relatively enjoying myself
Boyle says he only gave up alcohol, but after a month of not drinking he had already lost 8 pounds, so he decided to change his eating habits as well. This resulted in the positive ripple effect that has been going on ever since.
Besides his accomplishments, he says he learned a lot about who he is and who he wants to become. The most important thing he says he learned is how to be a better person. Boyle says that "if you ever think, hey, this drinking thing isn’t fun anymore, it’s okay to take a break." He doesn't plan on going back to his old drinking ways.
The full list of what he learned during his journey can be found here.