Man claims hoverboard ‘exploded’ under his feet

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

GULF SHORES, Ala. — A man in Alabama says his new hoverboard scooter caught fire under his feet just three days after he got it.

According to WKRG, Timothy Cade, of Gulf Shores, Ala., said his new hoverboard was too hot to handle after it became engulfed in flames while in use.

“I came outside turned it on, came down the sidewalk not even a 100 feet, and it exploded,” Cade said.

Added Cade: “Batteries started shooting out of it; you would not expect a fire like that to come out of a little thing like that. I was not expecting something like that.”

Cade recorded a video of the hoverboard afterward.

“What is going on?” he can be heard asking behind the camera.

Cade told WKRG he had purchased the board from a seller on Amazon.

“I’ve sent this lady, numerous and numerous amount of messages,” he said of his email exchanges asking for a refund.

Despite the frustrations and dangers, Cade told the station he plans to get a new one.

“They’re so fun; I would take more precaution with the batteries because I think it was the batteries that blew up,” said Cade.

But Cade is emphasizing caution for any consumers who may want to purchase the same toy.

“If that was a kid to have that happen, or imagine if that was in your house?” Cade asked rhetorically.

Cade isn’t the first person to claim a newly purchased hoverboard exploded: This weekend a Louisiana woman said her son’s hoverboard caught fire while charging and destroyed their home.

Watch the video in the player above.