FBI foils ISIS-related plot against Pope Francis: report

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
pope-francis-first-mass

PHILADELPHIA — A new report says authorities foiled an alleged plot against the pope that was set to take place while he was visiting the U.S.

ABC News reported Tuesday that the FBI “quietly” stopped a would-be ISIS-related attack last month. In the alleged plot, the suspect, who was a minor, was inspired by the terrorist group over social media to carry out the crime.

“The minor was inspired by [ISIS] and sought to conduct a detailed homeland attack which included multiple attackers, firearms, and multiple explosives, targeting a foreign dignitary at a high-profile event,” read a joint intelligence bulletin by the FBI and Department of Homeland issued to law enforcement across the country on Aug 14., according to the report. ABC News adds the “foreign dignitary” mentioned in that bulletin was Pope Francis.

The boy has been charged with attempting to provide material support to a terrorist organization and attempting to provide material support to terrorist activity, ABC News reports.

The report does not name the teen nor does indicate whether authorities had identified the suspect. Sources told ABC News that the boy’s plans were merely “aspirational,” and that no threat was imminent.

The pope is set to visit the U.S. next week, ending his stay in Philadelphia. Law enforcement officials said Monday there is no “no specific, credible threat” to the pope during that time.