NATO: 3 US contractors killed in Afghan suicide bomb attack

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Afghan police and security forces inspect the site of a car bomb in Kabul on August 22, 2015. A suicide car bomb apparently targeting a foreign forces convoy killed three people in downtown Kabul on August 22, officials said, underlining the precarious security situation in the Afghan capital following a recent wave of fatal bombings. AFP PHOTO / WAKIL KOHSAR (Photo credit should read WAKIL KOHSAR/AFP/Getty Images)

KABUL, Afghanistan — NATO says a suicide car bombing targeting a convoy in Afghanistan killed three American contractors.

Authorities say the blast Saturday in the Afghan capital, Kabul, killed at least 12 people and wounded 66.

NATO did not name the dead contractors in its statement.

The attack struck near the private Shinozada hospital in the capital’s Macrorayan neighborhood just as schools were letting out.

The Taliban denied carrying out the attack. However, they have stepped up their assaults on Afghan security forces since U.S. and NATO troops ended their combat mission in the country last year.