Cubs Game Notes For Friday vs. San Diego
* The Padres have won three of their last four road games against the Cubs. In the last game between these teams at Wrigley Field (July 24, 2014) San Diego scored 13 runs, tying the franchise mark for its most runs in a road game in this series.
* San Diego had a 3.34 team ERA in day games last season, which ranked sixth in the majors, but went just 22-27 (.449) in those contests.
* After scoring a total of just three runs in their first three games of the season, the Cubs have plated 29 (5.8 per G) over their last five contests.
* Justin Upton is off to a great start with his new club after coming to San Diego from Atlanta this offseason, recording at least one hit in each of the Padres’ first 10 games. That is tied for the longest hitting streak to begin a career with the Padres in franchise history. Wally Joyner (April 1-13, 1996), Tony Fernandez (April 9-18, 1991) and Keith Moreland (April 5-15, 1988) all also had 10-game hit streaks to begin their career with San Diego (minimum 1 AB or SF in each game).
* James Shields has had eight straight quality starts (in the regular season), dating back to last August 30, going 3-1 with a 2.13 ERA during this streak. The streak of eight consecutive QS is tied for the fourth-longest active one in the majors (streak not broken by any relief appearances).
* Speaking of quality starts, Jon Lester, Sunday’s scheduled starter, has thrown nine straight against AL West opponents, going 3-4 with a 2.29 ERA and .197 opponent average during this streak.