Court: Man burned by fajitas while praying can’t sue eatery

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A New Jersey appellate court says a man cannot seek damages for burns he suffered while bowing his head in prayer over a sizzling steak fajita skillet at a restaurant.

The ruling made public Wednesday upheld a lower court ruling that dismissed his lawsuit. The man claimed a waitress didn’t warn him the dish was hot, but the lower court found the food posed an “open and obvious” danger.

It happened in 2010 at an Applebee’s in Burlington County.

The man said he bowed his head, then heard a loud sizzle followed by a grease pop. He then felt a burning sensation in his left eye and on his face.

The man said he panicked and knocked the food on his lap, causing more burns. The burns didn’t cause scarring.

2 comments

  • Alex Andrews

    Matt 6:5 “And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.” If he hadn’t been praying publicly and making a spectacle of himself he wouldn’t have been burned. Clearly he got his reward. He should have prayed in secret.

  • Kate

    Nothing wrong with praying in public. Just don’t put your face down near the food that you ordered that is expected to be served hot. Go figure.

Comments are closed.