DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. - NASCAR driver Kurt Busch has been suspended indefinitely from racing and will miss Sunday's start of the racing season at Daytona.
The 2004 NASCAR champion is accused of attacking his ex-girlfriend, Patricia Driscoll. Busch allegedly grabbed her by the throat and slammed her head into a wall three times last Fall. On Friday, a family court in Delaware made a ruling during a protection order hearing that Busch did commit an act of domestic violence against Driscoll. Busch has not been charged criminally, but NASCAR officials say they have no tolerance for violence.
NASCAR VP Steve O'Donell said, "We stated last year NASCAR fully recognized the serious nature of the specific situation involving Kurt Busch and really the broader issue of domestic violence. And based on our review of the available details, including the court's findings that were released earlier today, NASCAR has indefinitely suspended driver Kurt Busch. He has been indefinitely suspended based on the rule book for sections 12-1A: actions detrimental to stock car racing and 12-8 which is a behavioral penalty."
Busch filed an appeal of the suspension on Friday. It will be heard Saturday.
If he wins, there's a chance he could still race in the Daytona 500 on Sunday.
In response to the court ruling, Busch's attorney Rusty Hardin said, "We assure everyone, including NASCAR, that this action against Mr. Busch will turn out to be a travesty of justice, apparent to all, as this story continues to unfold."