CHICAGO -- The construction of the new flyover bridge on the Jane Byrne Interchange, which will connect the inbound Dan Ryan to the outbound Eisenhower, is set to begin March 7th, bringing with it several lane and ramp closures.
The Illinois Dept of Transportation announced today the closures will run until Summer of 2016.
- The ramp from the inbound Dan Ryan to inbound Congress Parkway will be closed. A detour route will be posted, directing motorists to exit on Roosevelt Road to access Congress Parkway via Jefferson, Harrison and Wells streets. The ramp from the inbound Dan Ryan to the outbound Eisenhower will remain open, but shifted to a temporary roadway.
- The inbound and outbound Stevenson Expressway (Interstate 55) ramps to the Dan Ryan will be reduced from two lanes to one lane.
- The right lane of the inbound Dan Ryan from the Stevenson to Roosevelt Road will be closed.
- The ramp from Roosevelt Road to I290/Congress Parkway will be closed. Detour routes will be posted. Motorists will be directed to continue east on Roosevelt Road to connect with Congress Parkway via Jefferson, Harrison and Wells streets. To connect with the outbound Eisenhower, they will be directed to continue west Roosevelt Road and utilize Ashland Avenue and Van Buren Street.
- The ramp from Taylor Street to the inbound Dan Ryan will be closed. A detour route will be posted, directing motorists to connect with the inbound Dan Ryan from Taylor Street via Jefferson Street and the Adams Street entrance ramp
- The ramp from the inbound Dan Ryan to the outbound Eisenhower will remain open, but shifted to a temporary roadway. The new four lanes from Roosevelt Street to Van Buren Street will be narrowed
The flyover bridge will replace the existing single lane, winding ramp with a two lane ramp and bridge that begins just south of Roosevelt Road and arches over Harrison Street, the rest of the Jane Byrne Interchange, and Halsted Street, before connecting to the outbound Eisenhower near Morgan Street. From ramp to ramp, the entire structure will be about one mile in length, IDOT said in a statement.
Later this summer and fall, more closures are expected at the Jane Byrne Interchange to facilitate the placement of the flyover’s beams. During those weekends, access to Congress Parkway will be closed to incoming Eisenhower traffic and multiple lanes will be closed on the Dan Ryan and Kennedy expressways.