AUBURN, Pa — A family in Pennsylvania made a disturbing discovering when they went to add insulation to a room in their home.
“We were shocked, horrified and disgusted,” Kajia Bretzuis told WNEP.
The dead animals were all wrapped in old newspapers from the 1930s and 40s.
Bretzuis said the home inspector did not find anything with the initial inspection in 2011.
“We got the radon inspection. We looked for everything. We didn’t know to look for chickens,” she said.
The damage is not covered by insurance and the family has had to fix the issues themselves. It has cost them around $20,000.
Seeking answers, the family sent hundreds of the artifacts and carcasses to an expert.
Bretzius says the reason for it was “what they call pow-wowing or dutch magic. They used this to heal ailments.”
The mold caused almost everyone in the family to get sick and the smell won’t go away.
The family isn’t even sure if all of the dead animals are out of the house. They will need to tear out some more walls to check for addition items.