Where to donate to Hurricane Maria and Mexico Earthquake victims

Student’s Samsung phone explodes, causing bedroom fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

A student woke up to a loud popping sound after her Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 exploded in a her bedroom, CBC reports.

Hope Casserly, a computer science student at the University of Guelph in Canada, said it happened back in October. After the pop, the phone battery and battery case went flying in separate directions, causing two sets of fires.

Casserly extinguished the fires with a pillow.

“My back was to the phone and ah — I saw a light going across my shoulder, which would be the inside of the battery on fire. It hit the wall and fell onto my bed,” she told the CBC.

In response to the incident, Samsung looked at the phone and said Casserly was using an unauthorized battery. However, Casserly said the battery was the original one that came with the phone she purchased from a Virgin Mobile store.

Samsung does have a warning about battery malfunctions in its user guide:

“Covering the device with bedding, your body, thick clothing or any other materials that significantly affect air flow may affect the performance of the device and poses a possible risk of fire or explosion, which could lead to serious bodily injuries or damage to property.”

Samsung agreed to pay for the fire damage. The company also sent Casserly a replacement phone, but she said she won’t use it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s