Chicago's suburbs are starting to see an outbreak of a very dangerous disease among dogs.
It's called leptospirosis and it's caused by a deadly bacteria.
Dogs who catch it come down with fever, breathing difficulty, vomiting, loss of appetite, shivering and jaundice.
If untreated, it can be fatal.
A dog can contract it by sniffing rat or raccoon urine, drinking or wading in infected standing water, eating infected materials or being bitten by an infected animal.
And people can catch it from their pets.
Clinical signs of leptospiroris begin to appear, 5 to 15 days after a dog has been exposed to the bacteria.
It takes weeks of antibiotics to remove any trace of it, but it is preventable with a yearly vaccine.
Veterinarian Dr. Tony Kremer joined WGN Morning News to talk about it.