Chicagoans’ favorite college football teams are as varied as the city’s neighborhoods, according to an interactive map created by The New York Times website The Upshot.
Using data based on Facebook likes, The Upshot estimated the boundaries of fan support for 82 N.C.A.A. teams, and The Upshot says Chicago “may have the most intricate set of loyalties of any city in the country.”
According to this map, the majority of people in Cook County root for the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. That number, however, is only 9.6 percent of the population. Within the county, loyalties change from zip code to zip code — here are a few examples:
- 60527 (Burr Ridge) – 13 percent, Notre Dame Fighting Irish
- 60613 (Chicago) – 10 percent, Michigan Wolverines
- 60637 (Chicago) – 9 percent, Ohio State Buckeyes
- 60201 (Evanston) – 9 percent, Northwestern Wildcats
- 60620 (Chicago) – 9 percent, Illinois Fighting Illini
- 60035 (Highland Park) – 10 percent, Wisconsin Badgers
“No wonder you can find bars supporting so many different teams in Chicago,” The Upshot writes.