Top Chef Season 9 and chef with Celebrity Cruises for their Top Chef at Sea Experience
Spinach and Pea Soup with King Crab and Almonds
- 1 pound frozen spinach leaves
- 1 pound frozen sweet peas
- 1/2 pound butter
- 1 dried Ancho chili, cut with a scissors and seeds removed
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- Fresh herbs such as savory and basil
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons toasted whole almonds
- 3 ounces king crab leg meat, sliced into 1/2- inch rings
- Butter, as needed
- Water, as needed
- In a large pot, heat butter, add the chili and toast.
- Add shallots, garlic, turmeric, and toast then add peas, half the spinach and some fresh herbs.
- Add 2 cups water and heavy cream, cook for 10 minutes.
- Place soup in a blender, season with kosher salt, and blend on high.
- Add the remaining half of spinach the blender to keep the soup green.
- In a small sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons butter, warm though the crab.
- Pour soup into the bowls, and add king crab and some extra peas and top with toasted almonds. You can also puree the chili separately and put that into the bowl decoratively before adding the soup.