A house fire in Cicero took the life of a man overnight in a building that may have been overcrowded. German Mendoza, 23, was found dead in the attic of the home.
About 12 people were living in the house, a neighbor said.
The fire was ruled an accident. Firefighters say the fire started in the back of the home and spread quickly.
Firefighters said they believe the home had been divided to accommodate several families.
In addition to the fatality, Mendoza’s uncle was also hurt in the fire. He was transported to Loyola University Hospital with burns on his arms and smoke inhalation, Cicero fire marshal Ron Opalecky said.
A city spokesperson said a number of people who lived at the home took off before they could be identified, but six of them are staying at a local hotel until they can find more permanent housing.