Brain-eating amoeba kills 9-year-old girl

Naegleria fowleri

What you can’t see can indeed hurt you, as proven in the tragic case of a young girl from Kansas.

A rare brain-eating amoeba killed Hally Yust, 9, on Wednesday.

According to WDAF-TV, Yust went to the hospital with meningitis-like symptoms and doctors discovered an infection from Naegleria fowleri. This amoeba lives in fresh water, which Yust was exposed to, although investigators could not determine the exact source.

“Our precious daughter, Hally, loved life and part of her great joy was spending time playing in the water,” her family said in a statement.

There have been fewer than 200 cases in the United States in more than 50 years, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. None have been in Illinois.

Despite the low frequency of infection, the fatality rate is very high. There has been only one victim who survived, said Tiffany Geiger, the investigator with the Johnson County Health Department.

“The amoeba goes up through the nose and into the brain and once it’s there, there’s really nothing anybody can do,” Geiger said.

Fresh-water swimmers can lower their risk by wearing nose plugs or avoiding warmer water temperatures.

Yust’s family also said they hope others will not live in fear of the rare organism, and they will continue to participate in water sports despite the tragedy. They have set up a scholarship fund in her honor.

See WDAF-TV for more information on this story.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

1 Comment

  • lena

    I’m surprised the article writer doesn’t know, just from current news stories, that the amoeba is very common. It’s hardly rare. In fact, there were people infected by using tap water in their neti pots.

    The key is to keep water from being forced up your nose, because it can then find passage to the brain.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 684 other followers