The Food and Drug Administration issued a warning against using over-the-counter oral numbing medications in children and babies.
The gum-numbing medications contain local anesthetic ingredient’s that can lead to overdoses, causing serious injury in teething babies and toddlers, and may even lead to death, officials said.
Symptoms of overdosing include confusion, jitterness, shaking, seizures, falling asleep too easily, vision problems and vomiting. In a public health alert issued this week the FDA advises parent to go with a non-toxic approach including cool teething rings or clean cold washcloth’s for chewing.
The FDA is now requiring a warning label to be included on all over-the-counter oral numbing products.