Cubs Game Notes For Thursday vs. Nationals
* These teams will be meeting for the first time this season. Washington has won its last three games at Wrigley Field, recording at least 11 hits on offense in each game. Overall, the Nationals went 4-3 against the Cubs in 2013.
* Doug Fister is 6-1 with a 2.03 ERA in his last eight starts. Fister’s 1.01 walks per nine innings ratio is the best in the National League since May 14 (minimum 40 IP).
* In 76 games this season, Starlin Castro has already surpassed his home run and RBI totals from 2013. He has 11 homers and 45 RBI in 2014 compared to 10 home runs and 44 RBI in 161 games last season.
* Travis Wood has not allowed more than three earned runs in seven starts at Wrigley Field this season. Despite only possessing a 3-2 home record on the year, five of his seven outings have been quality starts.
* The Nationals are hitting .280 against left-handed pitching this season – third best mark in the majors. They hit only .232 against righties on the campaign. That +.048 batting average differential (lefties better than righties) is the highest in the majors.
* The Cubs are one of just six major-league teams to use only six starting pitchers this season. No team has used just five on the year. The Nationals are part of a group of seven MLB teams to use seven starters in 2014.