Cubs Game Notes For Monday vs. Cincinnati
* Cincinnati defeated Toronto, 4-3, at home on Sunday, and including taking two of three from the Jays over the weekend, has now won three straight series – tied with the A’s and Dodgers for the longest active streak in the majors. The Reds have played 29 one-run games (14-15 record) in 2014 – tied with the Red Sox for second most in the majors (Pittsburgh – 32).
* The Cubs lost, 2-1, to the Pirates yesterday, and are now 7-13 (.350) in one-run affairs this season – worst in the NL and second worst in MLB overall (Royals are 8-15, .348). Dating to June 3 vs. the Mets, Chicago has won four of its last six series.
* The Reds took two of three from the Cubs in Chicago earlier this season, and are 19-4 on the road against Chicago since the beginning of 2012 overall. Cincinnati has won seven straight series at Wrigley Field.
* Alfredo Simon went 6.1 innings and allowed three runs (all earned) in Pittsburgh in his last outing, garnering the victory, and winning his fourth consecutive start in the process. Simon (2-0, 1.50 ERA in two career starts vs. Cubs) is 7-1 on the road in 2014 – the most road wins by any MLB pitcher.
* Jeff Samardzija went 6.0 innings and allowed three runs (all unearned) in his last outing vs. the Marlins six days ago, but was saddled with his seventh no-decision of the season for his efforts. Dating to August 18, 2012, Samardzija is 0-5 with a 4.75 ERA in his last eight starts against the Reds.
* The Reds are 7-2 (.778) in their last nine road contests – the best road record in MLB since May 30. The Cubs are 9-4 (.692) at Wrigley Field since May 17 – the best home mark of any NL club during that span, and third best in MLB overall.