Today is the final day of construction on the Kennedy Expressway.
Drivers are being warned to avoid the outbound Kennedy as this weekend’s detour said to be much longer and more complicated than last weekend’s.
What’s left of the old Ontario Street Bridge is being torn down and removed this weekend.
This time, the construction is effecting the outbound side of the Kennedy Expressway.
The westbound lanes of the Kennedy from Grand Avenue to Ogden Avenue closed Friday night at 10pm. They will remain closed until 5am Monday.
Beginning at Congress Parkway, WB I-90/94 will be reduced to two lanes. Diverted traffic will exit at EB Ohio Street to Orleans Street and loop back to WB I-90/94.
The intersection at Orleans Street will be reconfigured and restricted to allow for free-flow movements.
- Passenger cars using the Dan Ryan Expressway may exit at 35th Street, head west over to Ashland Avenue then north to I-90/94 as an alternate route.
- The Ontario Street feeder ramp will be closed.
- Outbound entrance ramps from Jackson Boulevard to Randolph Street will be closed.
- Lake Shore Drive remains open in both directions.
- I-55 and I-290 can be utilized by motorists traveling from the South and West sides of the city.
The Kennedy is expected to reopen at 5 a.m. Monday.