Cubs Game Notes For Tuesday vs. NY Yankees
* The Yankees split a doubleheader with the Pirates on Sunday, losing Game 2 by the score of 5-3, and snapping their four-game winning streak in the process. New York has had at least a share of first place in the AL East for 25 days in 2014 – most of any team in the division.
* Chicago took two of three from Milwaukee over the weekend, winning just its second series of the season – fewest of any team in the majors. The Cubs are 12-6 when scoring at least four runs in 2014 (3-21 when scoring fewer than four times).
* New York took both meetings with Chicago earlier this season at Yankee Stadium, with both of victories coming via shutout. The Yankees haven’t shut out the same opponent three straight times in a single season since blanking the Angels three consecutive times in 1972.
* Masahiro Tanaka recorded his first complete game as a major leaguer in his last outing, going nine innings and blanking the Mets in the victory. Tanaka, who went 8.0 innings and allowed zero runs in his first career start vs. the Cubs on April 16, is 4-0 with a 1.82 ERA in his first four MLB road starts.
* Jason Hammel lasted just 5.1 innings and allowed five runs (all earned) in his last outing vs. the Cardinals, and is 0-1 with a 4.91 ERA in his last three outings overall (4-1, 2.08 ERA in first five starts of 2014). Hammel is 2-2 with a 3.32 ERA vs. the Yankees since 2012 (last seven starts).
* Derek Jeter is set to participate in just his second career series at Wrigley Field tonight. The Yanks’ captain last played a game at Wrigley in 2003, and is just 2-for-11 with seven strikeouts in his previous three contests there.