* The Cubs swept the 2013 season series against the White Sox, going 4-0 – the first time the Cubs have gone undefeated against the White Sox in a single season since going 3-0 against their Chicago rival in 1998.
* The Cubs lost to the Cardinals 5-4 on Sunday, striking out 10 times as a team and snapping their three-game winning streak in the process. The Cubs are now 1-12 in games in which they have struck out 10 times or more.
* The White Sox trailed 3-1 against the Indians in Cleveland before Dayan Viciedo hit a three-run home run in the ninth inning to give Chicago the win. This season, the White Sox have out-scored their opponents 19-1 from the ninth inning on when playing on the road – the largest run differential in the MLB.
* Starlin Castro has had success against the White Sox over his career, batting .293 against the Cubs’ rival. However, Castro has been better against the White Sox when playing away from home, hitting .425 against the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field, compared to just .167 against the White Sox at Wrigley Field.
* In two starts and three relief appearances against the White Sox over his career, Jeff Samardzija has posted a 1.80 ERA. In his last game against the White Sox, Samardzija pitched his only career complete game shutout in the Cubs’ 7-0 win over the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field on May 27, 2013.
* Jose Quintana is 3-1 with a 2.15 ERA versus the National League over his career. However, that one loss came against the Cubs on May 27, 2013 against Samardzija, with Quintana allowing four earned runs – the most earned runs he has allowed in any game against a National League team over his career.