Cubs Game Notes For Monday @ Cincinnati
* The Reds took two of three games at Wrigley Field earlier this month, improving to 51-21 in the series since 2010. The 51 victories are one shy of the most by any National League team in a given series over that span (Atlanta, 52-24 vs. Miami).
* The Cubs snapped a four-game losing streak with a 4-0 victory at Milwaukee on Sunday. It was Chicago’s first shutout victory of 2014, after getting blanked four times themselves this season.
* The Reds ended a 10-game road trip on a sour note, losing three games at Atlanta to finish 5-5 on the trip. Cincinnati mustered just one run on seven hits over the past two games.
* Emilio Bonifacio went 6-for-12 against the Reds in their previous series this year, improving his career average versus Cincinnati to .364, his highest against any opponent. Only Lyle Overbay (.372) boasts a higher career mark versus the Reds (minimum 75 PA).
* Jeff Samardzija is winless (0-2) despite allowing two earned runs or fewer and working at least seven innings in each of his first five starts. He’s the only starter in the last 100 years (since 1914) to begin any season in such a fashion.
* Alfredo Simon has begun the season even better than Samardzija (1.53), posting a 1.30 ERA through his first four starts. Simon’s ERA is the fourth-lowest mark in the majors to date (minimum 1.0 IP per team game).