Cubs Game Notes For Wednesday DH @ NY Yankees
* The Cubs have lost two-of-three in all four series this season. In 2013, Chicago was 13-7 in interleague play, the most interleague wins the Cubs have had in a single season. The Cubs last doubleheader was July 30, 2013 versus Milwaukee at Wrigley Field (Brewers swept the DH).
* The Yankees took three-of-four versus Boston over the weekend and are now just 0.5 games out of first place in the AL East. New York was 9-11 in interleague play last season. It was the first time the Yankees had a losing record in interleague play since the inaugural season of interleague play (5-10 in 1997). The Yankees are still looking for their first 8+ run game of the season. They are one of five MLB teams that has scored seven runs or fewer in each game this season: also Boston, Houston, Kansas City and San Diego.
* This is the fourth interleague series between the Cubs and the Yankees. The Yankees have won six-of-nine games, and five of the last six. The last time the teams met was June 17-19, 2011 at Wrigley Field (Yankees won 2-of-3). The Cubs have never won at the Yankees, going 0-3 in 2005 at Old Yankee Stadium.
* Anthony Rizzo drove in 21 runs in interleague play in 2013. His 21 RBI were tied for the most in the majors in interleague play in 2013 (Jay Bruce – Cin) and tied for the most by a Cub in a single season (2000 Sammy Sosa).
* Jacoby Ellsbury has six stolen bases in the first 13 games of the season. He is just the second Yankee in the last 25 years (since 1990) to have six-plus stolen bases through the first 13 Yankee games of the season (also Brett Gardner with seven stolen bases in the first 13 Yankee games of 2010).
* The Yankees lost 5-4 versus Baltimore on April 9 in Masahiro Tanaka’s last start. Tanaka received a no-decision, but it was the first time his team lost one of his regular-season starts since April 16, 2013 (Tohoku Rakuten lost 6-5 in 10 innings versus Fukuoka). Tanaka’s team had won 26 consecutive regular-season Tanaka starts in between team losses.