* After losing three of four games to the Yankees this weekend, the Red Sox have fallen into last place in the AL East, although they’re just 2.0 games behind the Yankees and Blue Jays. At 5-8, Boston has opened with at least eight losses in its first 13 games for the fourth time in the last five seasons.
* The White Sox’ 4-3 victory over Cleveland on Sunday represented their first win this season when scoring fewer than five runs. Chicago is leading the majors with 6.15 runs per game.
* Jake Peavy has not earned a decision this year despite surrendering just three runs over his first two starts. He’s faced his former White Sox teammates on only one previous occasion, defeating them last August 31 while permitting two runs over 7.0 innings.
* In addition to slugging a walk-off homer on Sunday, Alexei Ramirez notched his eighth multi-hit game, the most in the American League. He also leads the AL in total hits (21) and batting average (.420).
* Erik Johnson has been roughed up in his first two outings of 2014, allowing a .396 batting average and fashioning a 9.58 ERA. Left-handed batters are 9-for-17 (.529) against him.