* The Cardinals went 12-7 against the Cubs last season, holding Chicago to two or fewer runs in each of the last five games (all St. Louis wins). St. Louis will be looking to hold the Cubs to two or fewer runs in six straight games for the first time since an eight-game streak during the 1947 season.
* Joe Kelly has pitched at least 5.0 innings in each of his last 30 starts, the eighth-longest active streak in the majors. It is also the longest streak by a Cardinals starter 25-years-old or younger since a 25-year-old Dizzy Dean had a 35-start streak during the 1935 season.
* Yadier Molina hit .460 (23-for-50) with three home runs and 16 RBI in 15 games against the Cubs in 2013. Molina’s .460 average was the highest single-season average by a Cardinal versus the Cubs since Bernard Gilkey hit .476 against Chicago in 1992 (minimum 40 PA).
* Jeff Samardzija has received zero runs of support in five of his last six starts, including each of his last four starts. He is the first Cubs pitcher to receive zero runs of support in four consecutive starts since Ruben Quevedo had a four-start streak during the 2000 season.
* Emilio Bonifacio’s 19 hits are the most by any player through their first nine career games with the Cubs since Andy Pafko had 19 hits through his first nine games with the Cubs in 1943.
* The Cubs’ starters have combined for a 2.95 ERA this season, the third lowest in the NL so far in 2014.