Ina Pinkney, from the famous and now closed Ina’s, joins WGN Morning News to share some of her favorite brunch recipes
Perfect Tomato Salsa
Makes about 2 cups.
- 3-4 ripe, medium sized tomatoes, perfectly ripe
- 1/4 medium sized onion – preferably sweet
- 1 tsp. good olive oil
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 large jalapeño, stemmed and seeded
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, leaves only
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
Put all the ingredients into the bowl of a processor and pulse until it’s all chopped. Stop sooner than later so you don’t get mush!
Pour into a bowl and let sit at least 1/2 hour before serving.
Refrigerate the leftovers – if there are any.
Ina’s Black Bean Puree
- 1 can Black beans, reduced sodium -28 oz.
- 2 TBSP Canola oil
- 1/2 cup Spanish onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, grated
- 1 tsp Ina’s Dirty Spice Mix (recipe, page )
- 1 tsp Cumin ground
- 1/2 tsp Oregano, dried
- 1/4 tsp Paprika, sweet
Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded, for garnish.
Drain and rinse black beans.
Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium heat.
Add onions and garlic and sauté until fragrant, but do not brown.
Add spices and sauté for an additional 1 minute.
Add black beans and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat.
Mash with a potato masher, or blend with a stick blender until desired consistency is achieved.
Ina’s Dirty Spice Mix
Makes about 1/2 cup
- 3 1/2 tsp. Paprika, ground
- 3 tsp. Cumin, ground
- 2 tsp. Dried thyme
- 2 tsp. Dried oregano
- 3 tsp. Dry mustard
- 4 tsp. Kosher salt
- 4 tsp. Black pepper, ground
Mix all ingredients thoroughly and store in tightly covered container
DENSE BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE CAKE
Preheat oven to 350.
Makes a 10” cake to serve 12-14
- 1 lb. unsalted butter
- 1 lb. bittersweet chocolate, high quality, chopped
- 1 cup coffee, brewed and strong
- 8 eggs, extra large, SAFEEGGS
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp.vanilla
Butter the sides and bottom of a 10” springform pan and set aside.
In the top of a double boiler, combine the butter, chocolate and coffee and melt slowly. Stir occasionally until smooth.
Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and vanilla until frothy.
Whisk the eggs into the melted chocolate until combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
Bake for one hour.
Cool on a wire rack until it reaches room temperature.
Remove the side of the pan, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.