* Colorado trails second-place Chicago by a single point in the Central Division and could jump ahead of the Blackhawks with a victory on Wednesday. The Avalanche have captured three of the first four games in this season’s series.
* The Blackhawks have won their past two games, including a 2-1 victory at Buffalo on Sunday. It was Chicago’s first one-goal win since it defeated Boston, 3-2, in a shootout on January 19.
* The Avalanche edged Winnipeg in overtime on Monday, 3-2. Colorado has won five of its past six games, during which time its .833 winning percentage is tied for second best in the NHL (since February 28).
* Jonathan Toews has totaled six goals while lighting the lamp in each of his past four games. The streak is one game shy of the longest of his career (five straight between 2/27/2011 and 3/5/2011).
* There are only two players in the league who have combined at least 100 hits, 100 blocked shots and 30 takeaways. Both should be on the ice Wednesday, as Chicago’s Brent Seabrook (136 / 109 / 30) and Colorado’s Erik Johnson (110 / 107 / 32) have each provided broad contributions.
* Semyon Varlamov has surrendered two goals or fewer while winning all three of his starts versus Chicago this season. In four games overall against the Blackhawks in 2013-14, Varlamov is 3-0-0 with a 1.47 GAA and a .963 save percentage.