“That’s horrible, especially if you haven’t seen them in a long time because you’re super busy and you finally get to talk to them and they’re not even home!”
That sentiment was expressed by an 8-year-old girl who’d just learned that, back in the day, you could only chat with a friend if (gasp!) you were both home at the exact same time. Hers is one of many charmingly baffled reactions included in a YouTube video called “Kids React to Rotary Phones.”
As of Wednesday, the video had been viewed almost three million times since being uploaded on Sunday by Fine Brothers Productions as part of their “Kids React to…” series. While some of those views are likely from kids and teens who watched and laughed, it’s possible that the great majority are from their parents who watched and laughed and felt old.
Perhaps the only problem with this fun piece of techsploitation is that it’s nearly eight minutes long. All those adults watching it? As another YouTube star might say, “Ain’t nobody got time for that!”
So let’s cut to the chase and attempt to spotlight the very best things these adorably uninformed kids said when presented with a rotary phone and a bunch of facts about how all the old folks (who are, like, 33) managed to survive back in a cell phone-free world.
1. “How does this even work?”
2. “My iPod is kinda not like this.”
3. “This looks like phones that my mom used as a kid?” (Said as a question. Not a statement.)
4. “What? What? How do you even dial?”
5. “Dial the number, as soon as I find out how.”
6. “Ohhhhhhhhh!” (Reaction after being shown how to dial the phone)
7. Re: dialing, “This is gonna take a long time!”
8. “This was awesome like 20 or 10 years ago.”
9. “Awwwww!” (Reaction to learning about long distance fees)
10. “That’s really, just, they shouldn’t do that.”
11. “Uh, I don’t want that phone. I want to keep my iPhone.”
12. “What’s a pay phone?”
13. “I know what a pay phone is. I heard that Adam Levine song.”
Yup. Maroon 5, our children’s unintentional educators and social anthropologists.