No noon newscast today | Sox-Tigers game on WGN-TV

1 dead, 7 sickened in apparent carbon monoxide leak

A man is dead and 7 women were ill after an apparent carbon monoxide leak consumed a suburban Oak Brook home.

Detectives think it may have had something to do with the indoor swimming pool.

Inside a 15,000 square-foot home around 10 a.m. Thursday, an invisible killer was likely lurking and the residents there didn’t suspect a thing.

An 84-year-old man and 7 women were inside when one of them felt so ill, she called 911. The elderly man was already dead. The house is one of many large homes inside this gated community.

“Seven females ranging from 20-70 were all n various states of health and had to be transported,” said Oak Brook Police Chief James Kruger at a news conference.

No alarms were sounding when fire officials arrived, but when they pulled out their carbon monoxide detector, the air was off the charts, registering 1,000 parts/minute. The levels were strongest near the indoor pool.

Gas and furnaces were immediately shut off, and windows were thrown wide open. Ventilation fans were brought in, too. Dangerously high carbon monoxide readings meant rescue teams weren’t even safe inside.

How long the leak had been going is anybody’s guess. The investigation continues.

The identities of the women and the man who died inside have not been released, but at this time, police do not suspect foul play.

There’s no word Thursday night on how the women are recovering. They are, according to police, all adult women — a combination of relatives and domestic help.

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s