CPS scheduled to remain open Monday, Tuesday

CPS has confirmed that schools will remain open Monday and Tuesday despite the expected bitter temperatures.

Parents tell WGN that they are receiving automated calls from CPS informing them schools would be open and engineers will be on hand to make sure the school are warm for students Monday.

According to the CPS website all schools are scheduled to be open both Monday and Tuesday. Parents are encouraged to visit CPS website or call the hotline number listed on your screen for updates.

We also have a complete list of school closings on our website: wgntv.com/schoolclosings

23 Comments to “CPS scheduled to remain open Monday, Tuesday”

retiredinAZ1 said:
    January 4, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Once again, the CPS demonstrates it is run by individuals with NO BRAINS or compassion for the children it services!

Illianamike said:
    January 4, 2014 at 1:28 PM

The mayor worries about the safety of children from gangs but dangou

Enuff Awreddy said:
    January 4, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Well, if you don't think it's safe to send your kids to school, don't send them. What's the big effen deal?

Residentsj said:
      January 4, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I don't think – I know. Everyone should stay home. You do know what the word everyone means right?

naturalista88 said:
        January 4, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Some don't have a place to call home, so what about them?

Livid parent said:
    January 4, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Neither CPS or our mayor care about the students or teachers. If the student get an excused absence what about the teachers and staff? This is being done to further punish the teachers! Rahm really hates all teachers/CTU. Rahm, put your hatred aside and think of the students and staff for once!

Residentsj said:
    January 4, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Why any adults should be made to come into the schools to babysit OTHER peoples children ( meaning delinquent parents kids) is beyond me. Either it's bad out or it isn't. Either parents are providing a warm home and food for their OWN children and looking after their OWN children or they don't deserve them. Your children are YOUR responsibility. Your job as a parent is to be there when a storm hits.

Residentsj said:
    January 4, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Giving people the "option" to come to school or not is asking for trouble and putting more people at risk than help.

Westmont37 said:
    January 4, 2014 at 9:55 PM

At these temps, frostbite can set in within 5 minutes. Most kids wait longer than that for a bus. STUPID MOVE CPS!

teacher/parent said:
    January 4, 2014 at 10:10 PM

CPS..You are idiots! I feel for children who need the support, but it is NOT the teachers' responsibility to take care of children as a babysitter. Parents need to take care of their children. What about the safety of your employees and why encourage children or parents to be outside in dangerous conditions? Minnesota's governor has more brains than you!

guest said:
    January 4, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Teachers make enough money so yes, they should go in and take care of are babys

teacher/parent said:
      January 4, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Money isn't the issue, but safety is for all. You obviously care more about money than the safety of your babies.

guest said:
        January 5, 2014 at 7:37 AM

and for someone like me…a single parent from out of state….no family here….and I receive no paid sick days….staying home is not an option….Yes, i am looking for a place where my 4 children can go and be safe and warm……I, like thousands more, have no choice and depend upon the teachers to be there.

guest said:
        January 5, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I understand the position you are in. I too have to find care for my children, but I can't expect anybody in harms way to watch them. One job of a teacher is to teach children what is safe and what is not. Traveling in sub zero cold is not safe. If any of these children are hurt on the streets, where will you be then? Hospital bills, many days of work off? One day is not worth it.

guest said:
    January 4, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Union President just used twitter to say how wrong the CPS is for keeping schools open. As a former CPS Teacher, I would NOT go in….I would rather use a sick day than have my car stuck in an open school parking lot…where it would not start at the end of the day! ALL teachers should call in sick on Monday! So glad i am retired!

PumpkinPie said:
    January 4, 2014 at 10:27 PM

As an educator, if I can make it in safely, I will be there. If I can't, I will call for a sub and if one isn't available, at least I'll know children will have a hot meal and a warm place to stay. Praying for all our children tonight. Have you met them? They are worth our concern and caring. I don't say this often (okay, ever!), but I support Rahm on this one.

Residentsj said:
      January 5, 2014 at 5:40 AM

You should not be an educator as you have no brains. A true child advocate would not want any children, poor or otherwise, to be out in this weather. It's not the schools job to provide a warm place and meal. How about a local church?

fed up said:
    January 5, 2014 at 4:51 AM

I hope everyone who lives in all of the cities with the snow and the terrible sub zero temps, have a safe journey whether going to work or school. I pray for all of you to keep safe. As far as sending your children to school or not, that is your decision. If you can get to work or school safely, so be it. If you feel staying home and taking a snow day or two would be better, then do that. Whatever you feel in your heart, is no doubt the right decision. God Bless to all!!

guest said:
    January 5, 2014 at 7:40 AM

what if a child is walking to school and slips on the all-iced surface and injures him/her-self….or gets hit by a car……or gets severe frostbite (many of the kids here do not even own a pair of gloves or hat!……is the CPS ready to handle a slew of lawsuits?

Rose said:
    January 5, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Most of CPS students walk to school. Because of the school closings in Aug. students walk farther to school now. At -45 wind chill the schools better have nurses to identify the cases of frostbite. The schools may be warm, but not the children’s journey to and from their school.