Atheist display adorns Daley Plaza near Christmas tree, menorah

bigAAtheists now have a spot in Chicago’s busiest public center.

Wedged between a nativity scene and a towering menorah at Daley Plaza sits an 8 1/2-foot-tall letter “A.”

The display was put there by the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation to counterbalance the religious displays.

25 years ago, a federal judge ruled that religious displays could be erected outside the Daley Center if maintained by private groups, which they are.

8 Comments to “Atheist display adorns Daley Plaza near Christmas tree, menorah”

Unknown said:
    December 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

"A" is also for Advent. Point being the letter A stands for many things. I see they are just trying to make their point—but a little more creativity and thought may have worked better here.

Dan said:
    December 4, 2013 at 5:35 PM

This is why we are the best country in the world freedom to express but I will say to the atheists as a Christian in the end if I'm wrong I lose nothing if there wrong " welcome to hell"

Jock E Shift said:
      December 4, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Well said.

ALeC said:
      December 4, 2013 at 10:21 PM

atheists don't believe in hell so why would we care? You're using "Pascal's wager"…look it up. Why waste your entire life believing in fairy tales?

oh also, *they're

Martin said:
        December 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Prove it's a fairy tale. It baffles me that you write it off as a fairy tale. I'm willing to bet my life you've never even opened up a bible. You're a FOOL!

RJRJ said:
        December 16, 2013 at 2:00 AM

So you're recommended course of action is that we must prove that all fairy tales are fairy tales, and if we cannot, then we must base our lives on them. I bet you've never even read The Epic of Gilgamesh, fool.

marty said: