Roundy’s to buy 11 Dominick’s stores in Chicago area
Mariano’s grocery chain is making a big play for real estate in the Chicago area by gobbling up 11 Dominick’s locations scheduled to close later this month.
The deal is s costing Bob Mariano $36 million to buy the stores and another $3 million to spruce them up.
The end of the year marks the end of the road for the Dominick’s name in Chicago. But thanks to Mariano’s Fresh Market, 11 of its stores will live on giving Roundy’s, the parent company, 24 Mariano stores in all in the region.
Dominick’s employees stand to lose the most. They have to reapply for jobs after the holidays when Mariano’s is ready to staff its stores.
57 other Dominick’s stores remain up for sale. Competing Jewel Food Store has purchased a few, but the rest will simply close after Christmas if some other retailer doesn’t step in to take over.
The locations being purchased are:
• Park Ridge: 1900 S. Cumberland Ave.
• Western Springs: No. 14 Garden Market Street
• Chicago: 3145 S. Ashland Ave.
• Chicago: 2021 W. Chicago Ave.
• Northfield: 1822 Willow Rd.
• Westchester: 3020 S. Wolf Rd.
• Buffalo Grove: 450 Half Day Rd.
• Chicago: 5201 N. Sheridan Rd.
• Gurnee: 6655 Grand Ave.
• Aurora: 3025 E. New York St.
• Shorewood: 950 Brook Forest Ave.