Information on Red Cross services for those affected by storms
The American Red Cross is providing shelter and food to people affected by Sunday’s severe storms and tornadoes.
Two shelters are open in the Chicago area, one in southern Cook County and another in Grundy County. In addition, four more shelters are open in central Illinois where the communities of Washington and Pekin were hit hard. Locations include:
- New Community Church – 14801 Lincoln Ave. in Dolton
- Coal City High School – 655 W. Division St. in Coal City
- Crossroads United Methodist Church – 1420 N. Main St in Washington
- Evangelical United Methodist Church – 401 Main St in Washington
- First United Methodist Church – 154 E. Washington St in East Peoria
- Avanti’s Dome – 3105 Griffin Avenue in Pekin
A list of open shelters is updated regularly at www.redcross.org/nss. Available shelters can also be found by downloading the free Red Cross Tornado App which also allows users to monitor weather reports.
Volunteers will also be out early tomorrow morning in emergency response vehicles to give food to families in affected communities.