National and World News

Woman to give obese children note, not candy on Halloween

A woman in North Dakota isn’t handing out treats to everyone this Halloween.

She plans to hand out a letter to children that she believes are overweight.

The letter reads:

Happy Halloween and Happy Holidays Neighbor!

You are probably wondering why your child has this note; have youe ver heard the saying “It takes a village to raise a child?” I am disappointed in “the village of Fargo Morrhead, West Fargo.

You (sic) child is, in my opinion, moderately obese and should not be consuming sugar and treats to the extent of some children this Halloween season.

My hope is that you will step up as a parent and ration candy this Hallween and not allow your child to continue these unhealthy eating habits.

Thank you.

She emailed the letter to a radio station after calling in about obesity.

She says if she hands out candy to overweight children, she would be contributing to their health problems.

One health expert says the letter might hurt the kids more than help.

The expert says one’s appearance does not necessarily reflect whether a person has healthy eating and exercising habits.

8 Comments to “Woman to give obese children note, not candy on Halloween”

julie said:
    October 30, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I just saw this on the news and as a mother of 2 children I was completely appalled!!! I can not believe that this “woman” would actually consider doing this. She’s obviously familiar with obesity, but aparently not with emotional or mental issues. Sending a letter of that nature home with a child is just plain cruel! And she better hope that the “village” doesn’t show up at her doorstep! Manners and kindness must of been something that was never taught in her household….what a disgrace!!!

julie said:
      October 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Since my comment appeared as anonymous, I’d like to add my name…its Julie Ianno from Geneva , il. And one last final thought for the simple minded villager of Fargo, instead of being blantly cruel to children, maybe you should opt to pass out a healthy option such as all natural fruit snacks or raisins…..or better yet. Maybe you just shouldn’t take part in the festivities….I think there are enough “witches” walking about that night.

bjbillinger said:
    October 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM

It takes a village to raise a child and her village didn't raise her right if she can't use proper grammar.

Karina said:
    October 30, 2013 at 12:22 PM

That’s fine, but let’s also not give gifts on Christmas. Let’s not do Easter egg hunts. While we’re at it, let’s forget about birthdays!

esco said:
    October 30, 2013 at 12:24 PM

The lady sounds lonely and wants some attention, even if it's negative.
    If she won't participate in the Halloween fun and treat ALL the kids equally then she should
    turn off the porch light, watch a scarey movie in bed and eat a celery stick….

Chuck said:
    October 30, 2013 at 2:38 PM

The fat kids get rocks for Halloween.

Margo said:
    October 30, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Margo Crawford Soooooo, why does she hand out candy at all. Will she ask children if they have allergies to any of the candy or ingredients? She should either keep her lights off and do nothing or do the polite thing and hand out fruit.

45 minutes ago · Like..

Write a comment…

anonymous said:
    October 31, 2013 at 11:33 AM

While I don't agree with handing out a note like that since how a child is raised is completely up to the parents. I do know what it is like to be an overweight child since I was one and I do feel it is an epidemic in today's society. I would have handed out raisins or carrot sticks. I think that would have sent a better message instead of such a imposing note.