* Toronto lost, 3-2, to the Hurricanes on Thursday, snapping its three-game winning streak in the process. Despite the setback, the Leafs are still off to their best start (6-2-0, .750) through eight contests since going 8-0-0 to begin the 1993-94 campaign.
* Chicago dropped a 3-2 decision in a shootout with St. Louis on Thursday – its NHL-high tying third shootout of the season already. Each of the Blackhawks’ last six games has been decided by a single tally.
* These two clubs last met on February 29, 2012, with Chicago taking a 5-4 victory over Toronto. The Blackhawks have won a franchise-high seven straight tilts vs. the Maple Leafs overall.
* Joffrey Lupul netted one of the Leafs’ markers Thursday, giving him six goals in his last six skates overall. Lupul has four points (1g, 3a) during his current three-game scoring streak vs. the Blackhawks, and has lit the lamp nine times in 16 career games against Chicago overall.
* Marian Hossa had a hand in both of Chicago’s goals on Thursday (1g, 1a), and has now lit the lamp in back-to-back games. Including a hat trick on November 30, 2006 (while a member of the Thrashers), Hossa has 15 points (8g, 7a) in his last 10 skates against the Leafs.
* Chicago has a minus-5 third-period goal differential in 2013-14 – third worst of any team in the league. Toronto has a +2 goal differential in the third stanza this season (10th in NHL).