Police: 2 adults, 2 children die from carbon monoxide poisoning

A family of four was found dead inside a home in northwest Indiana.

Police say they died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Officers were called to the home in Merrillville Wednesday night to conduct a well-being check.

They found the bodies of 11-year-old Morgan Nichols, 13-year-old Matthew Nichols and their parents – 41-year-old Michael Nichols and 38-year-old Kennetha Purnell.

The family was moving into the home, and did not have power.

Investigators say the carbon monoxide came from a gas generator that was found in the garage.

Officials say the family may have died on Saturday.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

3 comments

  • PC Dept.

    I didn't know Kennetha Purnell personally but we worked for the same company. Her presence is surely going to be missed around campus.

  • Brian Millersmith

    Sad, but – HEY! Running an internal combustion engine INSIDE a garage, in which LIVING QUARTERS are RIGHT ABOVE??? Hmmm… Natural Selection, Survival of the Fittest, etc.
    Let's now wait for lawsuits – the generator company, for not stressing (enough) NOT to use indoors; the gasoline container manufacturer for NOT stating, "DO NOT USE TO FILL GENERATORS THAT WILL BE STUPIDLY USED INDOORS."; the gas station attendant for NOT running out and reminding the idiot: "Don't use this in an engine you plan to run indoors!!!"; the manufacturer of the Garage Door Opener for not having an CO sensor that would have automatically opened the door, sounded an alarm and called 911. The list goes on…

  • Esco

    It's sad he didn't know not to do that. I thought it was common knowledge not to run engines indoors unattended as well as using LPG BBQ's to heat a room or house. Missing these little details have devastating consequences. Hopefully others learn from this tragedy.


Related Stories


Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 526 other followers