Link Cards down in Illinois

Technical problems are causing issues for about 2 million people in Illinois who use Link cards.

Illinois has a contract with Xerox to run the debit system for Illinois Link cards. A power outage caused a system failure and the backup system also failed.  When workers try to swipe their cards, the transaction is declined.

In a written statement, a spokesperson for Xerox says technical staff is addressing the issue and expect the system to be restored soon.  Beneficiaries requiring access to their benefits can work with their local retailers who can activate an emergency voucher system where available.

The shutdown is affecting 17 states and 2 million people rely on link cards right here in Illinois.

This is a developing story, check back for details.

14 Comments to “Link Cards down in Illinois”

Meow said:
    October 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Yeah well some people actually need it. Just because you're fortune enough not to doesn't mean everyone actually is.

john said:
    October 12, 2013 at 3:52 PM

So the lazy moochers cant buy there junk food, pop or sell it for cash! Im all about helping the needy but I refuse to fund the lazy. I worked crap jobs for 10 years and never ran for hand outs get a job and act like a grown man or woman!

free loader said:
      October 12, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Wow to think I just made it in time to buy my pop and candy thanks John it was really good too lol

Maria said:
        October 12, 2013 at 5:25 PM

Thank you John for working a crapy job so I can eat candy,chips, pop etc….just imagine if u work overtime I can throw a party in your honor… Get educated your so low for thinking people who get stamps use it for candy and pop….be careful what you say you never known it could happen to you.. People do need it to feed there families and who are you to judge who gets it and who don't…..your a sorry excuse for a human being…

KRI said:
        October 12, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I agree with you 100%

worker said:
        October 12, 2013 at 6:26 PM

He probably thinks they use it to get candy and pop, because that is exactly what a lot of people do. Obviously plenty of people need the help, but don't act like there is no abuse either. I work at a Dollar General and two customers who came in today each worked at a Casey's and an Aldi's. They weren't exactly saying how horrible it was that Link was down, either, because we see the same people come in almost every day and buy candy bars, bottles of pop, and potato chips. And a good portion of them then go play bingo all night. (I know that because they tell me that's where they're headed.) I feel bad for the people who couldn't buy food for their families or themselves, but don't act like anyone who has a complaint about the system is just making stuff up out of nowhere. That's just as ignorant.

key said:
    October 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I hate that people only think black people have link. The polls show that white people use more than black people, then Mexicans, and then blacks. And its a lot of people who actually need it. Its people who have kids and aren’t able to provide and make ends meet every day even with jobs. So the people who are just spewing out BS need to at least think about people who aren’t abusing it. But I agree the people who are, are making it hard for the people who actually need it.

KRI said:
    October 12, 2013 at 5:02 PM

is it back yet?

Amanda Walsh said:
    October 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM

I happen to be a full time student single parent and work I still have link I can not make ends meet paying four thousand dollars every semester to get an education and feed two little boys plus myself I do not buy junk food because they don’t give enough money to even feed your family it is purely help not complete funds to feed your family and I agree some people do buy nonsense and its a shame but that is on them when their families are hungry at the end of the month

KRI said:
    October 12, 2013 at 7:40 PM

everyone stop complaining about this and tell me is it back yet

Maria said:
      October 12, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Yes it's back it's been back hours ago..relax

Kevin said:
    October 12, 2013 at 8:26 PM

Stop having kids that you cannot afford to raise without my tax dollars. I have a good job and chose to have only ONE child so I can give him everything he needs to succeed.

Maria said:
      October 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM

You have a good Job now but u can't predict the future Kevin… Just like u made it to the top u can make it to the bottom… People dont choose to struggle its comes with everyday life experience….Moran….

DeAnna said: