4 charged in South Side shooting that injured 13
Four people have been charged with last week’s mass shooting at a park in Chicago’s Back of Yards neighborhood.
At a news conference Tuesday, Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy identified the suspects as Tabari Young, 22; Bryon Champ, 21; Kewane F. Gatewood, 20; and Brad Jett; 22. They have each been charged with three felony counts of attempted first-degree murder and three felony counts of aggravated battery with a firearm. Additional charges are forthcoming, he said.
McCarthy identified Young as the offender who fired the military-grade weapon, wounding 3-year-old Deonta Howard and 12 other victims. Young’s record includes more than a dozen arrests. Champ also fired a gun during the incident, McCarthy said.
McCarthy said Gatewood provided the military-grade weapon used in the shooting, while Jett, a convicted felon, served as a lookout at the shooting.
“Not only do we believe a military-grade weapon was used in this shooting, but one of the offenders charged last night was convicted of Aggravated Unlawful Use of a Weapon/Possession of a firearm by a Felon a little more than a year ago,” McCarthy said of Bryon Champ, who is a convicted felon and documented gang member. “He received boot camp for that gun crime and was back out on the streets to be a part of this senseless shooting. That is unacceptable. To truly address violence for the long-term we need state and federal laws that keep illegal guns out of our communities and provide real punishment for the criminals who use them.”
Gatewood and Champ are scheduled to appear in court later Tuesday.
Young and Jett are scheduled to appear in court Wednesday.
This is a developing story – check back for details.