Cubs Game Notes For Monday vs. Pirates
* Although the Cubs are 6-10 versus Pittsburgh in 2013, they’ve split six games at Wrigley Field (3-3). However, the Pirates have not lost a season series at Wrigley since 2009 (3-5). They’re 18-13 in Chicago since 2010.
* After dropping two of three games to the Reds this weekend, the Pirates are tied with Cincinnati for second place in the NL Central, 2.0 games behind St. Louis. But Pittsburgh and Cincinnati are each 5.0 games ahead of Washington in the race for the two wild-card spots in the National League.
* The Cubs lost two of three games to Atlanta to fall to 3-9 over their past 12 games. At 65-91, the Cubs are assured of finishing at least 20 games below .50 for the third consecutive season, the first time they’ve done that since 1960-62.
* Going back to July 12, Charlie Morton is 0-2 with a 7.90 ERA over three starts versus St. Louis, but 6-0 with a 2.42 ERA in 10 starts against everyone else.
* Neil Walker has slugged 1.133 while connecting for three homers over his last four games. With a season total of 13 home runs, he joins Bill Mazeroski as the only Pirates second basemen to reach a dozen in four different years.
* Jeff Samardzija struck out eight in his most recent start at Milwaukee last Tuesday, raising his season total to 203. With a record of 8-12, he’ll be the first Cub to finish with a losing record despite fanning at least 200 since Long Tom Hughes in 1901 (10-23, 225 strikeouts).