* The White Sox (60-92) are on pace to finish the season with 64 wins, which, excluding the strike-shortened 1981 season, would be their fewest since going 64-97 in 1976. Chicago went 85-77 in 2012.
* The Tigers’ Magic Number to clinch a playoff spot is 4. Assuming they make it, it would be their third straight season in the playoffs, which would tie the longest such streak in franchise history. The Tigers made the postseason three straight years 1907-1909, losing the World Series in all three of those seasons.
* Andre Rienzo has five quality starts in his six road outings this season. In comparison, he has no QS in his three home starts.
* Max Scherzer (19-3) will be attempting to become the sixth different Tiger righty since 1969 to win 20 or more games in a season (Denny McLain, Joe Coleman (twice), Jack Morris (twice), Bill Gullickson and Justin Verlander). Scherzer is 0-2 in his last four starts after opening the season 19-1.
* Prince Fielder is batting a league-best .413 (31/75) since August 29 (minimum 61 PA). He had three hits in Thursday’s win over the Mariners to extend his current hitting streak to five games.