13 shot, including 3-year-old boy at South Side park

Thirteen people, including a 3-year-old boy, were shot on the South Side Thursday night.

According to the Chicago Police the shooting happened in the 1800 block of W 51st street in the Back of the Yards neighborhood and appears to be gang related.

Chicago Fire officials called an Emergency Medical Services Plan II, sending at least 10 ambulances to the scene and transported 10 people and the child to area hospitals.

One man drove himself to Little Company of Mary Hospital and was treated and released police said.

Police later said a total of 13 people were shot, the boy, two teens, and 10 adults, with the 3-year-old boy the most seriously wounded in critical condition.

The boy suffered a gunshot wound to the head and is at Mount Sinai Hospital.

Family members tell the Chicago Tribune the boy’s name is Deonta’ Howard.

Deonta’–pronounced Deontay–nicknamed Tay Man, has a dislike for haircuts, one cousin said.

“He didn’t like haircuts because he has a big head,” said Porsche Chester, a cousin of the boy’s. “But he is extremely smart. He didn’t have that (head) for nothing.”

Chicago Police continue to investigate and nobody is in custody for the shooting.

Check back for updates.

• The 3-year-old boy, shot in the ear, in critical condition at Mount Sinai;
  • A 17-year-old girl, shot in the foot, condition stabilized at Holy Cross Hospital;
  • A 15-year-old boy shot in the arm, stabilized at Holy Cross;
  • A man, 27, shot in the leg and wrist, serious condition at Mount Sinai;
  • A man, 24, shot twice in the stomach, serious condition at Mount Sinia;
  • A man, 21, shot in the leg, serious condition at Mount Sinai;
  • A man, 41, shot in the buttocks, serious condition at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital;
  • A woman, 33, shot in the shoulder, condition stabilized at Northwestern Memorial Hospital;
  • A man, 31, shot in the buttocks, condition stabilized at Northwestern;
  • A woman, 23, shot in the foot, condition stabilized at St. Anthony Hospital;
  • A man, 37, shot in the leg, in good condition at Stroger;
  • A man, 25, shot in the knee, in good condition at Northwestern;
  • And a man, 33, who drove himself to Little Company of Mary Hospital in Evergreen Park with a gunshot wound to the leg and who was treated and released.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel issued this statement on the shootings:

“Senseless and brazen acts of violence have no place in Chicago and betray all that we stand for. The perpetrators of this crime will be brought to justice and prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I encourage everyone in the community to step forward with any information and everyone in Chicago to continue their individual efforts to build stronger communities where violence has no place.”

41 Comments to “13 shot, including 3-year-old boy at South Side park”

esco said:
    September 20, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Most likely for no reason as usual. Chicago's carnage won't ever end. Nobody's safe, not kids,
    no one, Time to pack those bags.

DC123 said:
      September 20, 2013 at 2:53 AM

To Esco, the slime that is doing this are nothing but 2 bit cowards. Take their Illegal guns from them and they would not know what to do! Coward lo-lifes are what they are, Nothing but Chicago scum, just like the Chicago River smell =) or since its South Side, try 115th/Halstead Nice smoke stack!

DC123 said:
    September 20, 2013 at 2:49 AM

As a follow up…do you know their names?..cause they did know one name for sure, and uh, Florida..and Well, I'll just leave it at as for the quote in the words "Justice for__________……fill in the "blanks"

DavidLW said:
    September 20, 2013 at 4:56 AM

I'm having a hard time explaining this behavior and nonsense to my friends in Italy.

Jennifer said:
      September 20, 2013 at 5:41 AM

Why even bother trying to explain it…..by the time they understand some other group of people will be shot and hurt…and what angers me the most is the fact that it is always them poor babies that get hurt or die……I seriously think people bring them babies out with them thinking it will keep them adults safe. WAKE UP PEOPLE…just having a baby with you is not going to protect you……quit involving these poor innocent children….you want to act like a FOOL and gangbang…then do it alone……leave the babies out of it…grow-up, get a job and teach them babies what life is really about….only you can change the cycle down there…..don't talk about it……take action……take all your energy you have to be in that gang and doing illegal things…..and do something positive to change the world…if you all put just a little effort into it….you can do wonderful things…..praying for all you still stuck in the city……(get out if you can, and if you can't then keep your family safe) God Bless!

Jennifer said:
    September 20, 2013 at 5:47 AM

I was born and raised in that city and it will always be "home" to me…..I was fortunate to get my children out of there but try to travel back to see family as often as I can. It is going to be a shame that my Grandchildren will never know that part of my family because my children will not even set foot there let alone allow me to bring them there……so all you little punks that think your cool and powerful….the only power you have is in your head…….you are clueless, powerless, you have no back bones, and have no business sharing the oxygen we share……..WAKE UP…..you get one life to live and is this really the legacy you want for your future generation to know about you? If it is then SHAME ON YOU>>>>>>>>>>Stop the violence, we have enough of it in our world……you want to fight and kill people join the Armed Services and fight for our country don't destroy it!

AnMDBCartoon said:
      September 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM

(*Sigh*) Your words parallel mine quite abit. My last visit back home was Christmas 1998 and I expatriated to England in 2000. Haven't been back since.

I am rather hard-pressed to say I am a Proud Chicagoan these days…And this is the CHIEF reason why.

When does this madness & insanity STOP? **WHEN??!?**

Guest said:
    September 20, 2013 at 6:36 AM

Ummmm why was there a 3 yr old at a basketball court late at night? Shouldn't he have been home sleeping?

RPB said:
    September 20, 2013 at 6:55 AM

At some point the Powers that Be will have to admit that they have a Gang Problem and that problem can not be dealt with through Sit Downs and Pay Offs.

Dick Beninya said:
    September 20, 2013 at 7:04 AM

How’s that total gun ban working for you Chicago.

Amanda said:
    September 20, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Geez just left there about a month ago I'm glad I've gotten my child out of that neighborhood she'd go up to that park and play with friends during the day of course but no matter what time of day it is it doesn't matter and doesn't excuse the idiotic violence that is happening here. I wish I could be that naive I lived there 29 years nearly lost my younger brother to gang and gun violence I seen many horrible things as a child no way I want my daughter witnessing the things I had to.

Dan S. said:
    September 20, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Didn't the mayor's spin doctors say that crime was down last month?

Will said:
    September 20, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Rahm Emmanuel is one of the worse Mayors Chicago has ever had.

joe said:
    September 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Let's see where the blame goes. Under the traditional Chicago Democratic Model:
    1. It's the Police fault
    2. It's the Teachers fault.
    3. It's the Park District fault.
    4. It's the North sides fault.
    5. It's George Bush's faul or any republican you wish to put in..
    6. So on, and,
    7. So, on, and
    10.

Krueger said:
    September 20, 2013 at 11:49 AM

The yards what hood is that d’s or V’s

Hb106 said:
      September 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Does it really matter what gang it is or territory?????

Dick Beninya said:
        September 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Democrats, they all liberal democrats over there in the city

Dick Beninya said:
      September 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM

They all democrats over there. Ever last one of them.

Tythia said:
    September 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Chicago need to start a national “Say no to gangs nobody wins” campaign.
    Encourage the real community tax payers that they are the “legal” owners
    Of the streets. Expose the truth that these are not gangs! These guys are their children! Note them in the papers like pedifiers so everyone knows. Stand up against this foolishness.I garantee you the “gangs” are going to be the happiest that its finally over.