Maywood toddler found in Des Plaines River laid to rest

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Nearly five months after he was beaten to death and dumped into the Des Plaines River, a funeral was held Friday for the little toddler who loved to smile and dance, Bryeon Hunter.

His mother, Lakeshia Baker, and her boyfriend, Michael Scott, are charged with beating Hunter with a belt and plastic hangers on April 15th. They’re accused of leaving him to die on the bathroom floor of their apartment in Maywood. Then, they allegedly dumped his body in the river.

A man who runs a K-9 training center spent several weeks searching the river, and found Hunter on May 14th near the Brookfield Zoo. It took roughly four months for DNA tests to confirm the body was indeed Hunter’s.

The man who discovered Hunter, Rob Larson, spoke to the mourners at the New Beginnings Church at 66th and Kind Drive.

“Very hard for me to speak about this. I got very attached to Bryeon. I took Bryeon in as my own son. I’m trying to look at this as a good day, for Bryeon to move on to a much better place,” said Larson.

WGN News Writer C. Hayes published this story.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


  • keeping real

    what a pair of monsters!!! I hope god give them everything and then sum for their evilness!!? god bless that lil baby no one will hurt you know…. how sad…

  • girlfriend

    May God welcome this little angel into heaven with open arms. He will never be hurt by monsters again. How could someone beat a child like this? It defies reason.