Quinn declares ‘National Preparedness Month’
Governor Pat Quinn has declared September “National Preparedness Month” in Illinois.
Throughout the month, the Illinois Emergency Management Agency will be offering preparedness tips on Facebook and Twitter (@ReadyIllinois) and at its website readyIllinois.gov.
The agency will also host its annual meeting this week in Springfield for a thousand law enforcement, fire, public health, and emergency management representatives.
- Know your child’s school or day care emergency plan.
- Find out where children will be taken in the event of an evacuation during school hours.
- Ensure your emergency contact information is up-to-date at your child’s school.
- Pre-authorize a friend or relative to pick up your children in an emergency and make sure the school knows who that designated person is.
- Have a family communications plan and review the plan periodically with your child. The plan should include contact information for an out-of-area family member or friend, since local telephone networks may not work during a major disaster.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, GO TO: www.illinois.gov