Governor Pat Quinn has declared September “National Preparedness Month” in Illinois.
Throughout the month, the Illinois Emergency Management Agency will be offering preparedness tips on Facebook and Twitter (@ReadyIllinois) and at its website readyIllinois.gov.
The agency will also host its annual meeting this week in Springfield for a thousand law enforcement, fire, public health, and emergency management representatives.
- Know your child’s school or day care emergency plan.
- Find out where children will be taken in the event of an evacuation during school hours.
- Ensure your emergency contact information is up-to-date at your child’s school.
- Pre-authorize a friend or relative to pick up your children in an emergency and make sure the school knows who that designated person is.
- Have a family communications plan and review the plan periodically with your child. The plan should include contact information for an out-of-area family member or friend, since local telephone networks may not work during a major disaster.
FOR MORE INFORMATION, GO TO: www.illinois.gov