* The Cubs and Padres have split four meetings so far this season, with all four games having been played in Chicago. San Diego has won its last four home games against the Cubs, shutting them out in two of those contests.
* The Cubs rallied from a 4-0 deficit in Thursday’s game against the Nationals, scoring four runs over the eighth and ninth innings, only to lose in 13, 5-4. It was the 12th extra-inning game of the season for Chicago.
* San Diego has gotten five quality starts in its last six home games against NL Central clubs, with the Padre starting pitchers posting a collective 2.06 (9/39.1) ERA in these outings.
* Edwin Jackson is looking for his first win of the season against a NL West opponent, having gone 0-3 with a 6.75 (22/29.1) ERA in five starts.
* Among players with at least 200 plate appearances as a first baseman this season, Yonder Alonso’s six home runs are tied (with Todd Helton) for the second fewest in the majors. Alonso has not had a home run since May 19, stretch of 45 games and 179 plate appearances.
* After going 3-6 with a 5.79 ERA in his first 10 home starts of the season, Edinson Volquez is 1-1 with a 3.12 (6/17.1) ERA in his last three starts at PETCO Park.