Cubs Game Notes For Friday vs. St. Louis
* The Cardinals picked up just their third walkoff win of the season on Thursday, when Matt Holliday’s RBI single in the bottom of the 12th inning gave them a 6-5 win over the Pirates. The three walkoff wins are tied for second fewest in the majors (Tigers – 2).
* The Cubs have been shut out four times so far this month, including twice in their last four games. No other team has been shut out more than two times so far this August.
* Jake Westbrook has lost his last three starts, posting an 11.05 (18/14.1) ERA in these appearances. He went 7-4 with a 2.95 ERA in his first 14 starts of the season.
* Matt Carpenter is batting .542 (13/24) with seven runs scored during his current five-game hitting streak. Seven of those 13 hits have gone for extra bases (six doubles, one triple). Carpenter has five hits (including three doubles) and four runs scored in his last two games against the Cubs.
* In his lone appearance as a Cub since being sent to Chicago in the trade for Scott Feldman (July 30), Jake Arrieta held the Brewers to one run and two hits in 6.0 innings. He had failed to go at least six innings in any of his previous seven MLB starts.