Suspected burglar stabbed to death by homeowner in West Pullman

A suspected burglar was killed, after he was stabbed by a homeowner in West Pullman.

This happened near State and Brayton early Thursday morning.

A homeowner went to his garage after hearing an alarm.

“He went into the garage and confronted the guy,” said the homeowner’s father Melvin Hayes.  “The guy says, ‘get the gun,’ like there was another person there.  At this point in time, he’s not sure if someone else is there or not.  They came face to face and that’s when he stabbed him.

burglarstabbedwestpullman

Photo Courtesy: WGN reporter Nancy Loo

Police say the burglar came at him with a hammer.

But the homeowner, ex-Marine Mark Hayes, fought back with a fishing knife and stabbed him.

The burglar escaped in a car that took him to the hospital where he died.

His name has not been released.

Hayes suffered only minor injuries.

A police source tells WGN Hayes likely will not face criminal charges.

The identity of the man killed has not been released.

11 Comments to “Suspected burglar stabbed to death by homeowner in West Pullman”

Todd said:
    August 8, 2013 at 6:14 AM

See, no 🔫 required!

wisconsinite said:
      August 8, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I thought you may have been smarter than your comment, but I was wrong

Fire2013 said:
      August 8, 2013 at 1:57 PM

and if the scumbag buglar had a gun the homeowner would be dead.

Carl said:
    August 8, 2013 at 7:20 AM

Good for the homeowner.

Jasmine said:
    August 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Sounds like Mr Hayes is a hero to me. I'm sure the burgler-thug' s family will be filing a lawsuit before the end of the day.

normalguyroger said:
    August 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Good for the homeowner. Hopefully the word gets out to all the POS burglars out there that people are tired of and are fighting back. If there are any charges filed against the homeowner it will show what a joke the justice system really is.

normalguyroger said:
      August 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

tire of "them"

Mike said:
    August 8, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I see you guys defending the home owner which is fine – but when Iraqis had the US Marines their houses, Americans, along with the Media and Gov, called the Iraqi Home Owners, who tried to defend themselves, "Terrorists".

Fire2013 said:
      August 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM

And when nazis did that to jews, french, polish …. moot point welcome to 2013 when the article is about an incident in our backyards.

chrissieh said:
    August 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

No sympathy….

VET 4 VETS said:
    August 8, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Had I been the Home Owner I would have shot him in the head with my Glock 45 . I am Ex Army and still have my skills.Please think before you do cause I sleep with both my wife and gun. Good Job Marine HOOAH. vs HORAH.