North side handyman Michael Goldstein is known as the Mensch with a Wrench to his clients and he’s one of our Weekend Workbench experts. On Sunday, April 7th at 10:30am on WGN, the Mensch will show Ryan how to install a ceiling fan.
Before you start, here are the tools and supplies necessary:
- Phillips and flat head screw drivers
- Electrical tape
- Electrical tester
- Fan unit
Here are the steps:
- Turn off power at breaker.
- Mount bracket.
- Cut wire and attach down rod to fan base.
- Lock in fan base and make electrical connections.
- Assemble fan blades and attach to fan base.
- Mount light fixture
- Screw in bulbs and attach glass cover.
This is a relatively easy installation, only complicated by the light electrical work at the ceiling. It should take a beginner about an hour and costs differ depending on the fan unit. Don’t forget the light bulbs!