White House holds 2nd annual ‘Healthy Lunch-Time Challenge’
Fifty-four young chefs from across the country, including Illinois, are at the White House today for the second annual “Healthy Lunch-Time Challenge.”
The competition encourages kids to come up with healthy lunch recipes.
10-year old Taddy Pettit of downstate Oakwood is representing Illinois.
The recipes were chosen based on taste and originality, but they also had to be healthy and affordable.
All the children will meet First Lady Michelle Obama.
Taddy’s recipe for Black Bean Wrap with Jicama-Grill Corn Salsa:
Makes 10 servings
For the black bean wraps:
- 1 cup dried black beans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 rib celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the jicama-grilled corn salsa:
- 1 cup diced jicama
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 cup grilled or boiled corn kernels
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced (optional)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Whole wheat tortillas
- Baby spinach leaves
- Fresh cilantro
Make the black bean wraps:
- Soak the black beans in cold water in the refrigerator overnight. Drain and rinse the soaked beans.
- In a medium saucepan over moderate heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the beans and 3 cups water and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer the beans, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Remove the beans from the heat and cool.
- Transfer the beans to a food processor and purée until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl, add the cooked quinoa, and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Make the jicama-grilled corn salsa:
- In a medium bowl, toss together the jicama, green and red bell peppers, jalapeño, corn, and red onion, if using.
- In a blender combine the vinegar, lime juice, garlic, mustard, salt, and pepper. Blend well then slowly add the olive oil. Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salsa and stir to combine.
- Warm the tortillas in the oven or microwave. Spread 1 tablespoon of the black bean purée down the middle of each tortilla then top with spinach, avocado, salsa, and cilantro. Roll up and enjoy.
363 calories; 9 g protein; 44 g carbohydrates; 16 g fat (2 g saturated fat); 446 mg sodium
FOR MORE INFORMATION, GO TO: www.letsmove.gov